Knauf designs and manufacturers a comprehensive range of metal framing components for use with our wall and ceiling systems. The Knauf metal framing range is manufactured in our world class national production facility in Beenleigh, Brisbane. All metal components are designed and manufactured in accordance with relevant Australian Standards and the requirements of the BCA (Building Code of Australia).
Knauf metal components are made using corrosion resistant grade materials engineered for Australian conditions and relevant standards. Stud and track along with many other metal framing components, are made from Grade 300 MPa steel with corrosion protection of Zincalume ‘Next Generation’ AM150. Zincalume AM150 is a corrosion protection coating of Aluminium, Magnesium and Zinc alloy which coats the steel 150 g/m2 in total for both sides for superior added strength and corrosion resistance providing Knauf and our customers with the reassurance that our range delivers the highest grade of corrosion resistance in our industry to meet the harsh conditions of the Australian environment.
Knauf procures steel coils which comply with AS 1397: 2011 Continuous hot dip metallic coated steel sheet and strip – Coatings of zinc and zinc alloyed with aluminium and magnesium. The steel coils also comply with AS/NZS 1365:1996 Tolerances for flat-rolled steel products.
Knauf metal systems include steel stud wall systems, furring channel and batten wall systems, top hat and façade systems, jamb stud, acoustic studs, concealed and exposed ceiling systems together with a range of access panels and plaster finishing accessories.
Knauf Metal Framing Systems are robust, versatile and durable products suitable for use in all internal and external framing applications. The wide variety of Knauf system components - from Knauf Stud and Track to Knauf Deflection Head Track DH Knauf Nogging Track through to our innovative Knauf Track Flexible - are available in multiple widths, lengths and gauges, ensuring there is a Knauf Metal Framing system suitable for all framing applications and engineering requirements.
Knauf is Australia’s only genuine supplier of complete wall and ceiling systems. As the only manufacturer of plasterboard and metal framing components, we design, manufacture and test complete Knauf systems. This allows us to provide our customers with the peace of mind of full system performance and ease of installation all backed by our system warranty. We consider the safety and compliance of our systems and your projects to be of paramount importance.
By being experts in more than one area, we have developed a unique advantage in being able to provide expert technical & engineering support for complete product systems and solutions to some of Australia’s most challenging projects.
Knauf Knowhow: Our single team of multi-disciplinary world class experts can do so much more than design your metal wall framing…
- Dead loads (G): Weight of the wall or ceiling itself.
- Live loads (Q): Shelf loads, Hand-rail loads, Impact loads, and any other variable loads.
- Wind loads (W): External wind loads, and internal wind loads.
- Services loads (U): A nominal service load specific to ceiling systems.
- Earthquake loads (E): Forces acting on wall and ceiling systems due to an earthquake event.
- Fire resistance
Fire Rated Internal Walls are designed using a minimum of 0.35kPa (working) internal lateral wind pressures. The framing itself does not have a specified fire rating. The Fire Resistance Level or (FRL) of the wall is dependent on the number and type of boards fixed to the frame.
- Knauf Metal framing members have been fire tested as part of a system or systems. For selection of Knauf Metal components to be used in Fire Rated Walls further guidance can be found in Knauf Blueprint, or by using our Knauf Frame Finder and System Selector or by contacting our helpful Knauf Technical Services Engineering Team.
- Load bearing compared to non-load bearing walls Products selected for walls which are load bearing require special consideration. Contact our Knauf Technical Services Engineering Team for advice. Vertical Load Bearing Walls do not allow for any vertical deflection. Non-load Bearing Walls can accommodate vertical deflection when the correct products are selected and installed. The required amount of vertical deflection is determined by the design of the supporting structure. Please refer to lateral and vertical deflection advice below.
- Acoustic performance Products selected for acoustic walls are typically selected based on the acoustic performance of the entire system once the fire rating has been allowed for. Refer to Acoustic Stud Wall Framing Systems for more information.
- Thermal performance Energy efficient construction requires a building envelope that resists the transfer of heat. This thermal resistance is measured as an R-Value. Total R-Value is one of the most important indicators of the thermal performance of a building element. The higher the Total R-Value, the better the thermal insulation, i.e. the longer it takes the heat to get into the building (in summer) or out of the building (in winter). Refer to our easy to use online Wall Thermal Calculator that allows you to build up your wall, layer by layer and get the estimated Total R-Value.
- Lateral and vertical deflection Knauf Metal Wall Systems typically allow for a maximum of H/240 lateral deflection. The H is the wall height expressed in (mm). Therefore for a wall 2400mm high, 2400 is divided by 240 resulting in lateral deflection of up to 10mm at maximum design pressures. Some types of brittle wall boards or finishing products e.g. tiles, may require less deflection of the wall to avoid cracking of the product.Lateral deflection can be minimised by designing for H/360 or H/500 etc. For selection of Knauf Metal components to be used in walls with specific lateral deflection limits contact our helpful Knauf Technical Services Engineering Team. Vertical Load Bearing Walls do not allow for any vertical deflection. Non-load Bearing Walls can accommodate vertical deflection when the correct products are selected and installed. The required amount of vertical deflection is determined by the design of the supporting structure.
Walls that are required to allow for vertical deflection must have a Deflection Head Track at the top of the wall. The Deflection Head Track is a 50mm deep profile. The studs must be cut 20mm short of the supporting structure, this allows for the structure to deflect downwards up to 20mm without causing damage to the wall below.
The Knauf Deflection Head Track can be simply ‘friction fit’ into the Deflection Head Track just as it would with a Standard Head Track. For most internal walls in the 2400mm to 3600mm height range the stud can simply be friction fit into the Deflection Head Track just as it would with a Standard Head Track. Alternatively, the Knauf 92mm Slotted Deflection Head Track enables the use of a screw or fastener fixed connection in lieu of the friction fit installation method.
Knauf Concealed Ceiling Systems use a variety of products which are used to create a stable substrate to which various types of boards can then be screw fixed. These systems can be fixed directly to supporting structures or suspended below them. Knauf plasterboard and ceiling linings offer a range of functional properties, depending on the design requirements. They can be used to achieve Fire Rating, Acoustic and Thermal barriers.
Knauf Concealed Ceiling Systems consist of robust, lightweight products suitable for use in both direct fix and fully suspended concealed ceiling systems. Knauf Concealed Ceiling Systems can be used for both fire rated and non-fire rated applications, and have been designed to meet all relevant Australian Standards as specified by the BCA (Building Code of Australia).
The range includes Knauf Furring Channel, Knauf Top Cross Rail and Knauf Battens with Knauf Top Hats and associated fixings and clips. The wide variety of products available ensures there is a concealed ceiling system configuration suitable for all spanning, fire rated and acoustic and design requirements.
For further information regarding Knauf Concealed Ceiling Systems, please contact our helpful Knauf Technical Services Engineering Team.
- Large range of standard and made to order sizes
- Large range of clips to suit a wide variety of different wall and ceiling applications
- Part of complete system from Knauf including plasterboard and compounds
- Backed by our world leading multidisciplinary Technical Services Engineering Team, part of our Knauf Knowhow range of support services and tools